As we age, stamina is one of the things that sadly falls by the wayside. Dr. Life wants you to know that it does not have to be that way!!! There are plenty of things that you can do to increase and improve your stamina, including everything from specific workouts to certain types of foods. Here are some healthy ways to begin building stamina and, as always, please be sure to get an ok from your personal physician before trying any of these recommendations. Dr. Life would also be happy to discuss this with you personally through his telephone consultation service!
5 Ways to Build Stamina
- Eat more chia – This powerhouse of nutrition can help to increase energy as well as give you a quick protein boost to get through the afternoon. Try some in a smoothie or sprinkled on yogurt! Skip the third cup of coffee… stay natural!
- Do just one step more at a time – Ever heard the phrase, “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!” The same is true when building endurance in anything. Don’t try to take 20 steps when you can just work your way up, one at a time.
- Rest – Yes. You’ve heard it here before. Without the proper amount of rest and rejuvenation, our bodies can’t keep up at a normal pace, let alone attempt to increase that pace! Most people need between 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep a night. Optimal hours for sleeping are between 10pm and 6am. How are you doing on that?
- Get your “C” – Vitamin C is helpful for boosting immunity and keeping the body functioning at a healthy level for endurance. Be sure you’re consuming enough!
- Eat for fuel – Check out the handy chart below to find out what you should be eating before and after certain exercises. Your body thrives on proper fuel!